Note: People REALLY love this sauce, so don’t be afraid to double it. It won’t go to waste!
5 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons chunky natural peanut butter
2 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
1-2 tablespoons agave
1-2 tablespoons minced ginger (more if you like ginger)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Tofu + Vegetables:
14 oz. extra-firm tofu
2 teaspoons vegetable broth or water
4 cups baby spinach, (6 ounces)
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, (4 ounces)
4 scallions, sliced
1. To prepare sauce: Whisk water, peanut butter, rice vinegar (or white vinegar), soy sauce, agave, ginger and garlic in a small bowl.
2. To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
3. Heat vegetable broth or water in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
4. Add spinach, mushrooms, scallions and the peanut sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more.
5. Serve over brown rice. Enjoy!